CLIENT: Metropolitan Foundation. Contest project ideas, solutions for transportation in the North Corridor AMBA (Area Metropolitana de Buenos Aires). Consortium Northern Metropolitan Region (NMR) Municipalities of San Fernando, San Isidro, Tigre and Vicente López.
SUMMARY: We propose to solve the mobility of NMR, based on two main concepts: 1) back as efficient as possible linkage to the CBA based on public transport, and 2) generating a multi-modal mobility that promotes the development of MRI for progressively longer a satellite of CABA. A brief survey of the current situation (description of NMR and transport flows) is presented and based on a scenario exercise to 20 years the future of possible NMR projects, contemplating technological, economic, political, environmental and social. A yes the growth of transport flows are estimated, and the emergence and consolidation of new centers in MRI. The proposed solutions (actions) about three axes are developed:
1. Linking NMR - CABA
2. Internal mobility of NMR.
3. Linking NMR and AMBA.
The result of the proposal, which is a set of policies and infrastructure investments that will achieve that NMR reach its highest development reflected in higher levels of competitiveness and sustainability potential, resulting in increased well-being (quality of life) for its citizens and the metropolitan region.
RESULTS: On the importance for implementation have been included: some ideas about the responsibilities of different actors, and on possible schemes for implementing public - private partnerships; and also have identified short-term objectives for the first 5 years of implementation of the plan. An important conclusion is that no unknown solving ideas are required, but the creation of a viable and realistic plan to join forces oriented around the two main concepts of this work. The result of its implementation will have significant consequences not only for NMR but for the entire region, in summary some proxy indicators calculated for the 20-year time horizon:
• There will be a halving in the share of private car trips in total MRI (34% today to 15% in 20 years).
• A third of the trips will be doing on foot or non-motorized modes (bike, etc).
• More than half (51%) of the poor barrios (shanty settlements) will have a railway or monorail (reliable and fast economic public modes) within 10 blocks, compared to 17% today.
• This will be less dependent on the car made users to save 40% on the cost of transportation (including expensed user subsidies paid by the Federal Government).
• Emissions of greenhouse gases have decreased by 18% from the current, although in the same period the number of trips increased by 20%.
And for the time horizon of the first 5 years:
• The railway capacity will have increased by 20% to 130 million passengers a year.
• In addition to daily be 80,000 fewer trips by private car.